11 October 2010

Meteor/Meteorite News 11OCT2010

New find points toward habitable environments deep in Martian crust
Oneindia
A deposit of carbonate rocks that once existed 6 km (about 4 miles) below the surface of Mars was uplifted and exposed by an ancient meteor impact, ...

Impact begins nickel drilling program at Australian Yarrabubba project
Energy Business Review
The Yarrabubba Project covers a large (>50 km) diameter meteorite impact structure that has similar geological features to those at the large Sudbury mining ...

Space dust helps reveal origins of Milky Way
ABC Online
And this has been a debate that has been passed down through meteoritics because we see the same sort of structures in meteorites. ...

Meteor????
I am on Tobago Island, Oct. 7 2010 which is a small island off of Panama City, Panama and last night I saw a HUGE meteor with a tail and all in the North ...

Astro Bob blog: This house is full of wonder
Duluth News Tribune
They're composed of minerals like olivine (peridot) and pyroxene, which are very common in certain types of meteorites. This chondrule, measuring 5.5mm ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a nice meteorite last night from Apple Valley, CA. It was green as it fell and was in the south-east sky and looked to be headed for the ground.

Anonymous said...

I saw that meteor also, I was driving south on Lenwood road just before crossing National Trails Hwy going toward the I15 and saw it almost straight in front of me start as the usual bright white color heading almost straight down fast, as it decended it was slowing and getting brighter then suddenly turned a bright greenish glow as was way bigger than any I've ever seen before, lighting up the sky around it with a yellow/red aura, never dimming before disappeared behind the horizon. If triangulation coordinates were available I'd be there looking for an impact.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I saw something over Tucson, AZ on Monday night. It looked like a green ball of fire with a bright white tail. It disappeared from my field of view and was immediately followed by a flash of white light.

Was this a meteor, fireball, or something else?

I would really appreciate anyone's insight into this sighting.